Posted in John's Reviews - books, movies, whatever by John Brown on April 5th, 2010
Other Movies I Enjoyed: 2000 – 2009
Don’t have time to provide the logline and comments for each. But those with an * are movies I especially enjoyed.
- Avatar: except for all the moments when I thought the characters were going to break out in Pocohantas songs–”haaave yooooou ever heard the wolf cryyyyyy to the bluuuuuue cooooorn mooooooon…”–I enjoyed it. When I came out I defintely wanted to be a blue dude.
- Julie & Julia: funny, although did they really need to show the “coarse” Julia?
- Monsters vs Aliens: I didn’t like the villain or the story, but BOB was hilarious and worth it.
- Star Trek: Best Star Trek movie. Second is Wrath of Khan.
- Henry Poole is Here
- *Iron Man: Wow, I’ve wanted to fly since forever. This movie was just cool.
- Madagascar: Escape 2 Africa: The penguins and King Julian.
- *Slumdog Millionaire (RU)
- Taken: great concept. Ending fell flat, but I love the concept
- The Dark Knight: first 30 minutes all I could say was “I want to be Batman, I want to be Batman.” The Joker was amazing. However, something didn’t work for me in this movie. I thought there was only one heroic moment (the convict on the boat). I didn’t feel Batman’s dilemma in the end. The end was poetic, but I didn’t feel the drama. It was still a fun ride.
- The Bourne Ultimatum
- *The Jane Austen Book Club: this one should have been a runner up. I really liked this.
- Cars: Mater
- *Casino Royale (RU)
- Firewall: a good Harrison Ford film, excellent villain and situation
- Happy Feet: I thought it was going to be dumb, but I really liked it. The characters were great.
- Invincible: the story of Vince Papale, a 30-year-old bartender from South Philadelphia who overcame long odds to play for the NFL’s Philadelphia Eagles in 1976.
- The Devil Wears Prada
- The Lake House
- The Pursuit of Happyness
- Batman Begins
- Cinderella Man
- Coach Carter: Loved the story and Samuel Jackon’s character
- *Hoodwinked: really loved the humor
- Madagascar: Hate the lion and the story but the penguins and King Julian are hilarious. I laugh every time.
- *Sky High: fun with Kurt Russell and Bruce Campbell
- *Walk The Line (RU)
- *Collateral: A cab driver finds himself the hostage of an engaging contract killer as he makes his rounds from hit to hit during one night in LA. He must find a way to save both himself and one last victim.
- Ella Enchanted: goofy, but a lot of fun to watch with my girls
- I, Robot
- *Miracle: I hate hockey, but I liked this
- Napoleon Dynamite: was in shock until Pedro shaved his head, then I couldn’t stop laughing.
- *Spiderman 2 (#5)
- The Bourne Supremacy
- *The Incredibles (#2)
- The Village: watched it with inlaws and it scared them for days–totally worth it
- Elf: syrup
- Holes: we loved the book and the movie did it justice
- *Last Samurai (#7)
- *Luther (RU)
- *Matchstick Men (RU)
- *Open Range: best cowboy movie in a looong time–I just love Duvall
- *Pirates of the Carribean: Curse of the Black Pearl (#9)
- *Return of the King (#1)
- Runaway Jury
- *Saints and Soldiers
- *Seabiscuit (RU)
- Secondhand Lions
- The Italian Job: Yes, I cheered for criminals
- About a Boy
- *Ice Age (#3)
- Minority Report
- Reign of Fire: best dragon movie to come along in a long time
- Snow Dogs: goofy fun, enjoyable to watch with the kids
- *The Bourne Identity: really liked the suspense and action
- The Sum of All Fears
- *The Two Towers (#1)
- Treasure Planet: I didn’t think it could work, but it did. Enjoyed the relationship between Jim and Silver
- Two Week’s Notice: a good romance
- *We Were Soliders (#6)
- *A Beautiful Mind (#10)
- Behind Enemy Lines
- Legally Blonde: you didn’t like Witherspoon? Come on, tell the truth.
- *Lord of the Rings (#1)
- Monsters Inc
- Oceans Eleven
- Recess: School’s Out: I loved watching these on Saturday morning with the kids. The movie was just as good.
- The Princess Diaries
- 28 Days
- *Cast Away
- Chicken Run: “Mrs Tweedy, the chickens are revolting…”
- *Emperor’s New Groove (#4)
- *Gladiator (#8)
- *Miss Congeniality: this was excellent fun to watch with the wife
- O Brother, Where Art Thou?: loved the soundtrack, characters, and story. Hated the abundant profanity
- Space Cowboys
- The Perfect Storm
- The Kid: Bruce Willis and the kid are great
- *Unbreakable: really liked this one, great superhero movie
- X-Men: didn’t like it as much as others, but it rocks for pure super-hero power