I just typed the last words of the climax! The last 15,000 words have been a blast to write. Heck, the whole thing has been fun.
If you look at the progress meter, you’ll see I’m at 83,384 words. It’s weird writing something this “short.” I figure I’ll end up around 90,000 words. I did some analysis of the size of some other thrillers. You can see it below. It’s not super rigorous, but BAD PENNY falls well within the range.
|James Lee Burke||153,000||1|
The average of all those books is 117,000.
So I have about two more chapters to go. I’d finish them next week, but we’re taking some vacation for the 4th. This means I expect to type “The End” in the second week of July. Then I’ll set it aside for a few weeks, revise it, and send it out to first readers, including my agent. Here are the characters:
- Frank Shaw – Ex-con trying to go straight
- Sam Cartwright – Friendly neighborhood Mormon who’s trying to make Frank feel welcome
- Dan Meese – A man with snakes in his soul, Frank’s former cellmate
- Tony Shaw – Frank’s nephew and hacker
- Carmen Escobar – The woman found tied up in the trunk of Dan’s car
- Pinto Correia – Bearded gun nut and Sam’s go-to guy
- Jesus Goroza – Zombie for a drug cartel & Dan’s employer
I really think folks are going to enjoy this one.